Page and Lake Powell Slot Canyons Workshop
April 18-22, 2018
Availability - Limited to 6 participants
Based out of Page, AZ
Fly into Flagstaff, AZ (See 'How to Get There' section below)
Slot canyons are Mother Nature's natural mazes. The sinuous curves and the high sandstone walls call out to photographers to capture the essence that makes slot canyons magical. Join us on a tour of some of the more popular slot canyons, and on some personal favorites that are less crowded, and lesser known. We will photograph the intricate curves, details, and larger canyon scenes. We will also have an adventure on Lake Powell to explore an exceptional slot canyon that few have seen, and rivals Antelope Canyon. This canyon can only be accessed via boat and kayaking a short distance (no experience required). This canyon is a truly unique experience you will not find anywhere else. We will also photograph Canyon X at night for another unique experience. During our down time, you will learn post processing to make your photographs shine. Chase the light through the narrow passages and walls with us for this unique photography workshop experience.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
In the Field
- How to read a scene to create compelling compositions using shapes, lines, visual mass, texture, and more
- Reading weather and lighting conditions to know when to go out on your own in the right light
- How to use apps to scout out your own locations and plan your next shoot
- When and how to use lenses to bring focus to your subject
- How and when to use a polarizer to make colors pop
- Depth of field and hyperfocal distance to help you create sharp photos
- Achieving maximum sharpness using focus stacking
- Creative use of ND Filters to create motion in clouds and water
- Creating panoramas without using expensive equipment
- How to take correct exposures for bright skies; to be later used for exposure blending
- Identifying the best light and how to expose correctly
Post Processing for Beginners
- Making dull RAW files pop in Lightroom and keeping files organized
- Use of local adjustments for dodging & burning, and many more creative opportunities
- Using white balance to create mood in your images
- Properly sharpen and reduce noise for maximum image quality
- Stitching panoramas easily in Lightroom
- Exposure blending using HDR for natural looking results
Post Processing for Advanced users
- Exposure blending using luminosity masks to create balanced, natural looking images
- Focus stacking using Photoshop and/or Zerene Stacker for maximum depth of field
- Blending different focal lengths to correct for wide angle diminishment
- Creative burning and dodging techniques to bring focus to your subject
- Using the Orton Effect to add glow to your highlights
- Creating drama with Light Bleed
- Using Midtone Contrast to make images pop off the screen
- Sharpening for web and print
We encourage you to find your unique style of creativity with focused training based on your style and skill level. You will experience a rigorous learning experience in the field and the classroom to take your photography to the next level.
Our passion is seeing you grow in your photographic journey. We put your interests ahead of our own. Early on in the workshop, we will not photograph at all. Our focus is your learning experience, and we will not run off to chase the light and leave you behind. As the workshop progresses, we will take a few photos in a limited manner. This is so you can see how we approach a scene, demonstrate techniques, and create comradery with the group. Our focus will always remain with YOU.
We understand everyone comes to workshops at different points in their photography journeys. We will be there to guide and help you, whether you are a beginner or advanced shooter. There is always something to learn about photography, and we will do our best to help you find your creative vision.
Above all, we want this to be a fun experience for you. With our small group size, we get to know our clients very well, and we feel like they are part of our extended family. We do this for the love of photography, and there is nothing that gives us greater joy than seeing our clients grow and find their artistic vision.
This workshop will involve short hikes of 2-3 miles, they are across generally flat land, but hikes into the sand dunes can be strenuous. Being in good physical condition is a requirement for this workshop, if you have any doubts please contact us before signing up to discuss further.
$2,295 - (Initial Payment of $795)
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transportation (4x4 vehicles) from the hotel to the locations we will be photographing
- All slot canyon tour fees
- Boat tour fee for the slot canyon on Lake Powell
- Small class size of 6 maximum to ensure proper attention to each client
- Two attentive instructors for a client to instructor ratio of 3:1
- Water and snacks
- Image Critiques
- Tailored post processing instruction in Lightroom and Photoshop
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Lodging - we have a block of rooms held for you
- Meals - we will be eating together as a group
- Tips for Navajo tour guides
- Navajo commercial use permit - If you plan on selling the photos you take on Navajo land, you will need to purchase a permit from the Navajo Nation
HOW TO GET THERE
We recommend flying into Flagstaff, AZ. From here it is a 2 hour drive to Page. Another option is to fly into Las Vegas, which is a 4 hour drive to Page. One more option is flying to Phoenix, AZ which is a 4 hour drive as well.
You may also fly into Page, it is serviced by regional commuter flights through Great Lakes Aviation. They have flights from Los Angeles, Denver, and Phoenix. You can then rent a car from the only car rental business at the airport, Avis.
We recommend using Google Flights to find the best option for where you are coming from.