Grand Staircase-Escalante Photography Workshop
May 16-20, 2018
Availability - Limited to 6 participants
Based out of Escalante, UT
Fly into Las Vegas or Salt Lake City (See 'How to Get There' section below)
Imagine a landscape that includes miles of endless desert punctuated by large sandstone outcroppings and remote deep slot canyons. This sentence describes one of Utah's most beautiful gems; Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. It is truly a wild place, one that photographers have endless and diverse scenes to shoot. We will be leading you through this landscape, exploring sandstone arches, desert, and narrow walls of sandstone slot canyons. We will teach you how to photograph and chase the light through the canyons, and follow it as it paints the bright red sandstone outcroppings. From small abstracts to grand scenes, we will photograph this dynamic environment by day, and if weather permits, spend a night or two capturing the newly fully emerged milky way over the rocks and desert. The bright, new spring greens of the cottonwoods contrasted with the red sandstone walls that we will be hiking among creates stunning scenes. We will spend some time going over post processing techniques that bring out the detail and glow in the canyons and landscape. Join us in late spring for this chance to explore and photograph this special place in Utah!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
In the Field
- How to read a scene to create compelling compositions using shapes, lines, visual mass, texture, and more
- Reading weather and lighting conditions to know when to go out on your own in the right light
- How to use apps to scout out your own locations and plan your next shoot
- When and how to use lenses to bring focus to your subject
- How and when to use a polarizer to make colors pop
- Depth of field and hyperfocal distance to help you create sharp photos
- Achieving maximum sharpness using focus stacking
- Creative use of ND Filters to create motion in clouds and water
- Creating panoramas without using expensive equipment
- How to take correct exposures for bright skies; to be later used for exposure blending
- Identifying the best light and how to expose correctly
Post Processing for Beginners
- Making dull RAW files pop in Lightroom and keeping files organized
- Use of local adjustments for dodging & burning, and many more creative opportunities
- Using white balance to create mood in your images
- Properly sharpen and reduce noise for maximum image quality
- Stitching panoramas easily in Lightroom
- Exposure blending using HDR for natural looking results
Post Processing for Advanced users
- Exposure blending using luminosity masks to create balanced, natural looking images
- Focus stacking using Photoshop and/or Zerene Stacker for maximum depth of field
- Blending different focal lengths to correct for wide angle diminishment
- Creative burning and dodging techniques to bring focus to your subject
- Using the Orton Effect to add glow to your highlights
- Creating drama with Light Bleed
- Using Midtone Contrast to make images pop off the screen
- Sharpening for web and print
We encourage you to find your unique style of creativity with focused training based on your style and skill level. You will experience a rigorous learning experience in the field and the classroom to take your photography to the next level.
Our passion is seeing you grow in your photographic journey. We put your interests ahead of our own. Early on in the workshop, we will not photograph at all. Our focus is your learning experience, and we will not run off to chase the light and leave you behind. As the workshop progresses, we will take a few photos in a limited manner. This is so you can see how we approach a scene, demonstrate techniques, and create comradery with the group. Our focus will always remain with YOU.
We understand everyone comes to workshops at different points in their photography journeys. We will be there to guide and help you, whether you are a beginner or advanced shooter. There is always something to learn about photography, and we will do our best to help you find your creative vision.
Above all, we want this to be a fun experience for you. With our small group size, we get to know our clients very well, and we feel like they are part of our extended family. We do this for the love of photography, and there is nothing that gives us greater joy than seeing our clients grow and find their artistic vision.
This workshop will involve short hikes of 2-3 miles, they are across generally flat land, but hikes into the sand dunes can be strenuous. Being in good physical condition is a requirement for this workshop, if you have any doubts please contact us before signing up to discuss further.
$1,195- (Initial Payment of $495)
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transportation (4x4 vehicles) from the hotel to the locations we will be photographing
- Small class size of 6 maximum to ensure proper attention to each client
- Two attentive instructors for a client to instructor ratio of 3:1
- Water and snacks
- Image Critiques
- Tailored post processing instruction in Lightroom and Photoshop
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Lodging - we have a block of rooms held for you
- Meals - we will be eating together as a group
HOW TO GET THERE
We recommend flying into Las Vegas or Salt Lake City. From either airport it is a 3 hour drive to Escalante. We recommend using Google Flights to find the best option for where you are coming from.