Colorado Wildflowers Workshop
July 20-28, 2018
Availability - Limited to 6 participants
Based out of Crested Butte, CO & Silverton, CO
Fly into Denver or Gunnison (See 'How to Get There' section below)
This workshop is broken up into three different portions, take just one or combine as you see fit! The post processing session must be combined with a workshop, but the workshops do not need to be combined with post processing.
- Part 1 - 3 day workshop in Crested Butte (July 20-22)
- Part 2 - 2 day post processing session (July 24-25)
- Part 3 - 4 day workshop exploring the San Juan mountains in Jeeps (July 25-28)
Summer in the high country of Colorado means gorgeous alpine views, snowmelt and with that, carpets of wildflowers. Wildflower season starts in June and usually peaks near the end of July in the Colorado high country. Join us on a photographic adventure into the heart of alpine country! We will start in Crested Butte, Colorado which is known as the wildflower capital of Colorado. The mountains around this quaint little mountain town offer some of the best wildflower displays. We will spend time photographing the wildflowers in various scenes that include waterfalls, snow-capped peaks, and river valleys. After shooting in the field for three days, we will spend two days going over post processing techniques and how to make your images shine. We will then travel south to the heart of the San Juan Mountains. Set among the peaks of the San Juans and old mining camps, the flower displays combined with blue alpine lakes are a photographer's dream. We will spend three days adventuring in Jeeps to the wildflowers that are only accessible by 4x4. Waterfalls, fields of paintbrush flowers and crystal clear alpine lakes left behind by the glaciers are just a few examples of what we will be photographing. Both of these areas are near and dear to our photographic hearts, and we have spent extensive time exploring, scouting, and photographing these places ourselves. If you're looking for a summer photography adventure, join us in the high country of colorful Colorado!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
In the Field
- How to read a scene to create compelling compositions using shapes, lines, visual mass, texture, and more
- Reading weather and lighting conditions to know when to go out on your own in the right light
- How to use apps to scout out your own locations and plan your next shoot
- When and how to use lenses to bring focus to your subject
- How and when to use a polarizer to make colors pop
- Depth of field and hyperfocal distance to help you create sharp photos
- Achieving maximum sharpness using focus stacking
- Creative use of ND Filters to create motion in clouds and water
- Creating panoramas without using expensive equipment
- How to take correct exposures for bright skies; to be later used for exposure blending
- Identifying the best light and how to expose correctly
Post Processing for Beginners
- Making dull RAW files pop in Lightroom and keeping files organized
- Use of local adjustments for dodging & burning, and many more creative opportunities
- Using white balance to create mood in your images
- Properly sharpen and reduce noise for maximum image quality
- Stitching panoramas easily in Lightroom
- Exposure blending using HDR for natural looking results
Post Processing for Advanced users
- Exposure blending using luminosity masks to create balanced, natural looking images
- Focus stacking using Photoshop and/or Zerene Stacker for maximum depth of field
- Blending different focal lengths to correct for wide angle diminishment
- Creative burning and dodging techniques to bring focus to your subject
- Using the Orton Effect to add glow to your highlights
- Creating drama with Light Bleed
- Using Midtone Contrast to make images pop off the screen
- Sharpening for web and print
We encourage you to find your unique style of creativity with focused training based on your style and skill level. You will experience a rigorous learning experience in the field and the classroom to take your photography to the next level.
Our passion is seeing you grow in your photographic journey. We put your interests ahead of our own. Early on in the workshop, we will not photograph at all. Our focus is your learning experience, and we will not run off to chase the light and leave you behind. As the workshop progresses, we will take a few photos in a limited manner. This is so you can see how we approach a scene, demonstrate techniques, and create comradery with the group. Our focus will always remain with YOU.
We understand everyone comes to workshops at different points in their photography journeys. We will be there to guide and help you, whether you are a beginner or advanced shooter. There is always something to learn about photography, and we will do our best to help you find your creative vision.
Above all, we want this to be a fun experience for you. With our small group size, we get to know our clients very well, and we feel like they are part of our extended family. We do this for the love of photography, and there is nothing that gives us greater joy than seeing our clients grow and find their artistic vision.
This workshop will involve short hikes of 2-3 miles, they are across generally flat land, but hikes into the sand dunes can be strenuous. Being in good physical condition is a requirement for this workshop, if you have any doubts please contact us before signing up to discuss further.
Part 1 - Crested Butte Workshop - $795
Part 2 - Post Processing Session - $495
Part 3 - San Juans Jeep Workshop - $1395
Combine Part 1&2 for a discount of $200
Combine Part 2&3 for a discount of $250
Combine All for a discount of $400
* Past clients - you can still use your alumni discount in combination with this discount
When signing up, an initial payment is required, the remainder is due 60 days before the workshop.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Transportation (4x4 vehicles) from the hotel to the locations we will be photographing
- Jeep rentals for the San Juans
- Small class size of 6 maximum to ensure proper attention to each client
- Two attentive instructors for a client to instructor ratio of 3:1
- Water and snacks
- Image Critiques
- Tailored post processing instruction in Lightroom and Photoshop
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Lodging - we have a block of rooms held for you
- Meals - we will be eating together as a group
HOW TO GET THERE
Getting to Crested Butte - You can fly into Denver International Airport and drive 4.5 hours, or Gunnison Airport and drive 40 minutes. Please see this site for detailed information.
Getting to Silverton
- Option 1 - Fly to Denver International Airport and rent a car to make the 7 hour drive
- Option 2 - Fly to Montrose Airport and rent a car to make the 1.5 hour drive. Airlines that frequent this airport vary but service through Denver is available year-round through United
- Option 3 - Fly to Durango airport and make the 1.5 hour drive
If you are combining the workshops, the drive from Crested Butte to Silverton is 3 hours